18 October 2009

Smartphone decision made


Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback on my smartphone post.

If you were curious, here's how the suggestions broke down:

iPhone: 3 votes

Google phone: 2 votes

Blackberry Curve: 2 votes

No one seemed to like the Pre, so that one was out. After long deliberation, I decided to go with the Blackberry Curve 8900 for T-Mobile.

Pros:
  1. On T-Mobile. No need to switch carriers.
  2. Physical keyboard
  3. Price: $89 at wirefly.com.
  4. Plays and records video, plays music and podcasts.
  5. Wireless capabilities.
  6. Expandable storage (bought a 16GB microSD card soon after my purchase) and replaceable battery.
Cons:
  1. I miss the iPod Touch OS and, well, the touch capabilities. The 8900's trackball works fine, but the intuitiveness of the flicking and tapping from Apple grew on me, apparently.
  2. The wireless download speed isn't that hot, for some reason. Podcasts that took almost no time to download on my Touch take at least three or four minutes on the 8900.
  3. Youtube videos are pixely and not nearly as clear as they are on the Touch.
Overall I am happy with my selection, but as often happens, I somewhat regret my decision in light of some new information.

You may have seen the commercials for the new Droid smartphone for Verizon, by Motorola. The ads go right at Apple, as apparently the Droid is trying to be the latest iPhone killer.

As the phone is not yet for sale, all I can find are some vague reviews and specs for the thing. But here's the rundown as far as I can gather:

  1. Kick-butt processor.
  2. Runs Android 2.0.
  3. Expandable memory using microSD.
  4. Bluetooth, Wifi, 3.5mm headphone jack.
  5. Slide-out physical keyboard and touch capabilities.
  6. Runs on Verizon, which has 3G ability in Idaho (I think). The company I work for has a discounted rate with Verizon for its employees.
Ugh. At its face, the Droid is everything I want in a smartphone. If I'd known this thing was coming down the pipeline, I may have just waited for it instead of going with the Blackberry. But we'll see what it's like when consumers actually use it. I like to buy the second generation version of technology products, anyway.

No comments: