29 November 2007

My first child's name will be Dwight


Dwight Howard is the latest dominant center in the NBA. At 21 years old, I'd take him over any 5 in the league. The kid is averaging 23 points and 14 rebounds a game and almost three blocks a game. Orlando is 14-3, and have beaten teams such as San Antonio and Boston on the way.

Howard is unstoppable down low, and Jameer Nelson and Rashard Lewis have the luxury of being able to throw the ball towards the rim and have Dwight throw it down. I think he had about eight alley-oops last night vs. Seattle.

The one weakness in his game, like Shaq and Duncan, is free throws. He's shooting a career-high 62% from the line on the season, which tends to lower his fantasy basketball value a bit. But thanks to the number of dunks he gets, he's shooting a career-high 61% from the field, as well. If I were an NBA coach, I'd take that kind of efficiency on the court in exchange for horrible stats from the line.

I admit to having a huge man-crush on this guy. And I am not ashamed.

Barring injury, he's on the fast track to becoming one of all-time greats in the NBA.

3 comments:

Mandi said...

"Man-crush," eh? Ew. And last week you said you were naming our first child "Harvey" after BYU's running back. You fair-weather child-namer, you.

Matt said...

Haha I would come visit Dwight every day if you named your kid that. Serious. And Dallin still thinks Amare is better, even after watching his 20 highlights on sportscenter the other night.

Becky said...

I agree with Mandi, man-crush? Very ew. Dwight? Harvey?