06 March 2008

Sportsy Post (tm)


Random sports thoughts from a Thursday morning:

1. BYU basketball clinched its second consecutive outright Mountain West Conference title last night after beating down Wyoming last night 78-61. That makes it two years in a row where BYU dominated the conference in basketball and basketball, the two sports that matter in college.

I'm starting to take it for granted, but then I remember the football years of 2002-2004 and the 1-25 basketball season in 1996 and I'm grateful again.

Go Cougars!

2. The Jazz destroyed the Timberwolves at home last night, 105-76. It's amazing how different this team is at home compared to on the road. Just a few days ago they lost to this exact same team at Minnesota.

The West race is as tight as ever, and the Jazz could fall out of the playoffs entirely if they have a small four-game losing streak. They need to beat teams like the T-wolves, so this win was definitely appreciated.

It's interesting how similar BYU and the Jazz are right now. Both teams are very good, but not great, and not quite able to jump to the elite level in their leagues, in my opinion. I see BYU winning a first-round game in the Big Dance, if things go right, but no more. I see the Jazz at most advancing to the Conference Finals, but even that could flame out if they meet San Antonio before then.

I could be wrong, but I guess we'll see.

3. LeBron is amazing. Okay, we all know that, but going for 50 points, 10 assists, eight rebounds, four steals and only two turnovers in regulation is amazing to the point of unbelievable. After watching the Sportscenter highlights, I was impressed with how far his 3-point ball has progressed since even just a couple seasons ago. It's a lot smoother, quicker, and more accurate. He hit seven last night. SEVEN. And the two turnovers is so impressive considering other players who handle the ball as much (Nash, Williams, Kidd), also lead the league in turnovers.

5 comments:

Jimmy said...

I really like that you're writing about sports today. It's not like there's anything else going on.

Just teasing.

Jessie said...

I was thinking the same thing... you should post some updates for us! :)

Heather O said...

GO COUGARS!!! (need I say more?)

MooKooJoe said...

I hate to do this, but you put basketball twice where I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to. First paragraph, last sentence.

GO COUGARS!! RAWR!

Josh said...

I was at that game
Wyoming fans are so obnoxious