04 June 2008

The Jazz love Hibbert?


The Salt Lake Tribune reports that former Georgetown center Roy Hibbert worked out for the Jazz Wednesday.

And apparently they're pretty high on him.

I'm going to preface my comments by saying I haven't watched many of Hibbert's games. But from what I did see, I wasn't impressed.

Sure, he's 7'2". Sure the Hoyas went 100-36 while he was there. Sure he averaged over two blocks a game this past season.

But darn it, Hibbert's slow. And as a senior he only averaged 13.4 points and 6.4 rebounds per game. I know Georgetown played a very slow style of ball, but still. Six rebounds?

Not to mention how he completely disappeared against Davidson in the NCAA tournament last March.

Though to be fair, the Jazz don't need scoring as much as they need an interior presence on defense. If Hibbert can affect shots and stop the constant parade to the hoop Jazz opponents enjoy, maybe I'd be fine with him.

But if Fesenko can be that guy, why roll the dice on Hibbert? I guess if the Jazz do draft Hibbert, we'll know how they feel about the Fes.

2 comments:

Stu said...

I know that I don't really need to tell you this, but I don't think he even needs to score that many points as long as he can threaten the middle and more importantly take some of that pressure off of Boozer.

I don't know what (or who) the solution is to that problem, but the Jazz need someone else who can occupy the middle and give Boozer good looks all season long, as opposed to only during the regular season for some strange reason. If he can play any defense, all that much better.

Nicholas G. James said...

Maybe if they draft Hibbert, then he will make Boozer play defense. Boozer is capable of swatting shots, he's just too lazy. Maybe Hibbert will show him how to block it. Hahaha