22 June 2008

Pet peeve alert


Today I received a forwarded e-mail about the difference between men and women. Normally I don't bother reading forwards past a short skim, but a cursory examination of this one revealed the monologue was an excerpt from Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys, and one that I happen to love.

The problem? The e-mail was headed by this brilliant remark:

Men And Women Are NOT The Same – Not Even CLOSE!
Author Unknown (But SMART!)


Now, I get that someone read this passage from Dave Barry, liked it a lot, and wanted to send it to their friends. Or maybe they read it on the internet, liked it a lot, and wanted to share it with their friends. That's fine, as long as they attribute the correct author.

But somewhere along the way, the information about who wrote this piece was lost.

Now look, in today's information age, it takes all of three seconds to find the truth. I know that's three seconds longer than it takes to read the anecdote, laugh, and click forward yourself, but please take the time.

[/rant]

Now that I'm calmed down, here's the passage on one of the many sites that have posted it (note the correct attribution on this one.)

5 comments:

Nicholas G. James said...

I am now officially tired of forwards. I was already, but now it's getting out of control. I've had like every single one in the world, and more than one time.

LaPaube said...

It's Eric D. Snider and the Titanic column all over again. I know you know what I'm talking about, B.

Nicholas G. James said...

And hey, I like LeBron a little bit! I just want him to be on a different team!

Brandon said...

Bingo, G. Though it seems more people attribute this to Barry than attributed the Titanic column to Snider.

I think the internet has come a long way since 1999.

Anonymous said...

http://www.sporcle.com/games/africa.php