31 October 2008

The streak continues


I was once again wrong on my NBA Prediction of the Night. But in my defense, a starter was pulled from the lineup moments before tip-off, an event I could not have seen coming. 

Okay, so it was the Hornets' Tyson Chandler, and if I'd know he wasn't going to play last night I would have had Phoenix winning by even more. I mean, shoot, New Orleans played Hilton Armstrong and Melvin Ely at the 5, how did Shaq and Amare not go to town?

Well, turnovers, for one. The Suns lost the ball 24 times, compared to 10 turnovers for New Orleans. Steve Nash had seven all by his lonesome, and Phoenix seemed out of sync all night. Amare only took three shot attempts in the first half, and the Suns kept pounding the ball into Boris Diaw in the post. Diaw did finish shooting 4-of-5, but come on... you've got one of the best power forwards in the game on the floor and you're not using him?

Paul was brilliant, tallying 20 points, 10 assists and three steals, but he did have five turnovers himself. 

And really, that was the story. Phoenix shot 54% from the field and 39% from the 3-point line. Those numbers are usually good enough for a win, but turnovers kill you. 

For tonight, I'm picking Golden State at Toronto. The Raptors are still working on how to use Bosh and Jermaine O'Neal at the same time, and the Warriors are adjusting to life without Baron Davis. I'm picking Toronto in this one... Bosh is too big and quick for Don Nelson's small-ball to contain him. Jermaine may be a walking injury-waiting-to-happen, but he's not down yet. 

Toronto 106, Golden State 94

0-4 on the week, 0-4 on the season

1 comment:

LaPaube said...

Tonight's the night, B. Toronto over the GSW is as safe of a pick as they get.