17 January 2008

Wait, where do I live?


I was just watching the Cavs/Spurs game (sidenote: Is there some kind of contract that requires rematches between the previous seasons' Finals opponents to be broadcast on national TV? Because I have no interest in watching the Spurs and Cavs play; in case you forgot, NBA, the Spurs demolished Cleveland in four games last June. If anything, the Spurs are better and the Cavs are worse now. Boring TV. I'm waiting for the Suns/Lakers game that comes on next), and a Dunkin' Donuts commercial came on.

What the heck? Now look, I lived in Massachusetts for four years when I was a kid, and one of the fonder memories I have of that time in my life is Dunkin' Donuts. Mmmm... powdered doughnut holes.

But I live in Idaho. A quick check of Google Maps shows there are no Dunkin' Donuts stores closer than Denver, and there's only that one in Colorado. I found millions in Chicago. The store doesn't exist in the western United States.

It's weird for a regional company to spend advertising money on cable TV. Maybe they're planning on pushing westward, much like the pioneers of yesteryear.

I'd support that. We need a good doughnut shop here. Though it would probably take about fifty years for them to make it to Rexburg. Shoot, Wendy's showed up only 10 years ago.

5 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Interesting. Maybe it's because they're starting to market Dunkin' Donuts products in regular grocery stores. ie: their coffee, donut gems, etc. I bought a small donut package of theirs from a skeezy Vegas store. I'm no coffee drinker, but I think I'd be more inclined to buy it here if it was something I couldn't GET here before; a novelty item, if you will...

Matt said...

Pretty sure the Cavs beat the Spurs last night. LeBron has been on fire the last couple games.

Mandi said...

mmmmmmm, donuts....

Becky said...

Are you saying the "America runs on Dunkin" slogan is not appropriate? Not to burst your memory bubble, but everytime I eat Dunkin donuts they are stale and gross. Sorry. :( Haven't I told you my conspiracy theory about Dunkin donuts?

Anonymous said...

i agree with becky